Re: Eurasian Collared Dove

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2004
      Sat, 19 Jun 2004 -- This morning Dorothy
      Tobkin birded the south coast and refound the
      EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES first
      reported on 4 Jun.
      message/935
      They were just west of and close to the
      Thompson home, the house with the impressive,
      manicured gardens, sitting on a utility pole with
      Mourning Doves nearby She saw all marks,
      heard the distinctive song, and notes that they
      were sitting shoulder-to-shoulder in a very
      paired sort of way.
      At Miner Hole Road Toby also heard an
      intriguing warbler singing, perhaps an American
      Redstart. There were also Orange-crowned and
      Wilson's Warblers singing.
      Directions to EUCDs: DeLorme p.72, C1;
      Guide to Finding Birds in Mendocino County,
      pp.46-47, SC-12. From Hwy 1 south of
      Manchester turn west at milemarker 19.64 on
      Stoneboro Road. Procede 1.1 miles and turn
      south on Duxbury Road, a 0.6 mile horseshoe.
      The Thompson home will be conspicuous on the
      right.
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
        Sunday - June 27, 2004 - 4:30 PM - After a very rough day at sea on a
        Shearwater Journeys pelagic trip, I ventured down to Manchester State Beach
        to try to refind the Eurasian Collared Doves that were found earlier in the
        month by Jerry White and Dorothy Tobkin. They had both seen the birds on
        Duxbury Lane (off Stoneboro) near the Thompson's (fancy garden)
        residence. I slowly drove Duxbury Lane twice without finding the
        birds. I decided to drive out Barnegate, which is a short deadend single
        lane road which leads to the north and overlooks Hunter's Lagoon at the
        end. At the end of Barnegate there is a loop, and off that loop is a dirt
        road which leads another 100 yards to where one can see Hunter's
        Lagoon. As soon as I parked at the end of this dirt road I looked out the
        front windshield and the pair of Eurasian Collared Doves where flying by
        about 100 feet away right-to-left. I was able to get the binoculars on
        them and verify that they were beige in color, had neck-rings, and dark
        gray primaries which showed on the upper and lower wing. They disappeared
        in the direction of the south edge of Hunters Lagoon and Bristol Road
        (another deadend road).

        Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • Jim Armstrong
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2008
          I had a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves hanging around under my seed
          feeder in SE Potter last week. One of them has been back every day
          this week. I think it is the same one since it has white feathers
          showing on the top of its left wing (scapular? covert?); I won't know
          until I get them both at the same time .
          George said they were coming and here they are.
          I also had an unusually high 24 hour rainfall total ending this
          morning at 0730 of exactly 3".
        • jarlyus
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
            I have been subliminally aware for the last several months that my neighborhood has been doing without the unpleasant call of the Eurasian Collared Dove.
            They have come back in the past few days with perhaps four individuals nearby.
            I think they may have displaced/replaced the much more melodious Mourning Doves.

            Jim Armstrong
            SE Potter Valley