USTP Avocets

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2001
      Greetings Mendo and Lake birders- This am at about 815 I watched a pair
      (m,f) of American Avocets land on the N pond at the USTP. The birds were
      on the W side of the pond where there is lots of exposed mud, and were
      conspicuous even among the large clumps of sedge and amaranth. Although
      the birds were initially quite flighty, and made even more nervous by the
      pair of nesting Red-shouldered Hawks out there, they were feeding and
      preening when I left at 845.

      Chuck Vaughn

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2001
        Sat, 26 May 2001 -- The AMERICAN AVOCETS that Chuck Vaughn found this
        morning at the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant were still there at 10:30 in
        the same place on the north pond.
        Matthew Matthiessen reports from the coast today a TUFTED PUFFIN
        in the water at the Mendocino headlands and several groups of early
        HEERMANN'S GULLS, 6 at Ward Avenue and 5 at Virgin Creek Beach. -- George
        Chaniot