Purple Martins

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2004
      9 June 2004 - Wednesday - Today I ran the Branscomb USGS Breeding Bird
      Survey. Highlights included several Hermit Warblers and a couple Purple
      Martins. The are nesting in a snag above the Branscomb Road at mm
      0.52. All other species found seemed normal however Western Tanagers
      and Swainson's Thrush seemed rather numerous compared to other past
      years. Vaux's Swifts have been absent the last two or three years but
      historically were seen about one mile up Branscomb Road above some mature
      growth conifers. Even though Branscomb Road is still remote ... the number
      of residence's along the road has increased over the last decade. 2 to 4
      more Purple Martins are building nests under the Juan Creek Highway 1
      bridge and a River Otter was leaving the rip rap rocks (probable den) to
      enter the surf. A dozen Caspian Terns were seen along the
      coast. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
        Tuesday July 10 * Yesterday evening I observed a male and female PURPLE MARTIN along University Drive at approximately 19:30. The location was just west of the cattleguard at the base of the long steep hill about 0.75 miles east of Old River Rd. The birds were part of a large swallow flock that was working the south side of University Dr. University Dr is the road that leads from Old River Rd to the Hopland Field Station (HREC).

        Good Birding,
        Matthew Matthiessen
        Ukiah, MEN, CA