Many Lawrence's Goldfinches/Lake County

  • Dave Woodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2004
      My neighbor made an interesting observation of a flock of
      Lawrence's Goldfinches at his thistle feeder this afternoon,
      actually during the thunderstorm. I went over just after the rain
      stopped and counted 11 Lawrence's Goldfinches, 7 males and 4
      females. I got a brief view of several more that were mostly out of
      sight behind a couple of rocks. One of the males was abnormally
      colored with a partially white head and nape. Also present were many
      Lesser Goldfinches and a few American Goldfinches. The feeder is
      located in Blue Oak Woodland and has been up for a few weeks, but
      this was the first observation of Lawrence's Goldfinches. On my own
      neighboring property I have seen 2 pairs of Lawrence's Goldfinches
      in the past 12 years.
      Dave Woodward