Eurasian Collared Dove

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
      4 June 2004 - Friday 11:00 AM - Jerry and Niki White report finding two
      Eurasian Collared Doves at Manchester State Beach. These non-native
      birds, which have a breeding population in the Los Angeles area, apparently
      have been showing up along the Pacific Coast recently. These are not to
      be confused with the smaller Ringed Turtle Doves which occasionally escape
      aviaries. Jerry reports that these appear to be "wild" birds. They were
      seen on Duxbury Lane across from the Thompson's residence (the house with
      the incredible manicured gardens). Exit Highway 1 just a mile-or-so
      south of the town of Manchester and just north of the Mountain View Road
      (the road from Boonville). This species MAY be added to the Mendocino
      county list based upon these observations. If anyone searches for these
      birds please take notes and document primary flight feather color,
      undertail coverts color, size of the birds, and amount of feather
      wear. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2004
        Sat, 19 Jun 2004 -- This morning Dorothy
        Tobkin birded the south coast and refound the
        EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES first
        reported on 4 Jun.
        message/935
        They were just west of and close to the
        Thompson home, the house with the impressive,
        manicured gardens, sitting on a utility pole with
        Mourning Doves nearby She saw all marks,
        heard the distinctive song, and notes that they
        were sitting shoulder-to-shoulder in a very
        paired sort of way.
        At Miner Hole Road Toby also heard an
        intriguing warbler singing, perhaps an American
        Redstart. There were also Orange-crowned and
        Wilson's Warblers singing.
        Directions to EUCDs: DeLorme p.72, C1;
        Guide to Finding Birds in Mendocino County,
        pp.46-47, SC-12. From Hwy 1 south of
        Manchester turn west at milemarker 19.64 on
        Stoneboro Road. Procede 1.1 miles and turn
        south on Duxbury Road, a 0.6 mile horseshoe.
        The Thompson home will be conspicuous on the
        right.
      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
          Sunday - June 27, 2004 - 4:30 PM - After a very rough day at sea on a
          Shearwater Journeys pelagic trip, I ventured down to Manchester State Beach
          to try to refind the Eurasian Collared Doves that were found earlier in the
          month by Jerry White and Dorothy Tobkin. They had both seen the birds on
          Duxbury Lane (off Stoneboro) near the Thompson's (fancy garden)
          residence. I slowly drove Duxbury Lane twice without finding the
          birds. I decided to drive out Barnegate, which is a short deadend single
          lane road which leads to the north and overlooks Hunter's Lagoon at the
          end. At the end of Barnegate there is a loop, and off that loop is a dirt
          road which leads another 100 yards to where one can see Hunter's
          Lagoon. As soon as I parked at the end of this dirt road I looked out the
          front windshield and the pair of Eurasian Collared Doves where flying by
          about 100 feet away right-to-left. I was able to get the binoculars on
          them and verify that they were beige in color, had neck-rings, and dark
          gray primaries which showed on the upper and lower wing. They disappeared
          in the direction of the south edge of Hunters Lagoon and Bristol Road
          (another deadend road).

          Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          Theodore Roosevelt

        • Jim Armstrong
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2008
            I had a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves hanging around under my seed
            feeder in SE Potter last week. One of them has been back every day
            this week. I think it is the same one since it has white feathers
            showing on the top of its left wing (scapular? covert?); I won't know
            until I get them both at the same time .
            George said they were coming and here they are.
            I also had an unusually high 24 hour rainfall total ending this
            morning at 0730 of exactly 3".
          • jarlyus
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
              I have been subliminally aware for the last several months that my neighborhood has been doing without the unpleasant call of the Eurasian Collared Dove.
              They have come back in the past few days with perhaps four individuals nearby.
              I think they may have displaced/replaced the much more melodious Mourning Doves.

              Jim Armstrong
              SE Potter Valley