Coastal Weekend Report - 5/28-5/31

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Over Memorial Day weekend Larry Siemens and I spent some time birding on
      the northern Mendo coast. Birds of note were the BROWN THRASHER at
      Little River (seen on Fri 5/28 and Sat 5/29) and a male NORTHERN PARULA
      along the Big River on Mon 5/31 (the same bird found by Toby Tobkin the
      previous day).

      Birds of interest were a single COMMON NIGHTHAWK displaying over the
      pygmy forest on Road K just off of Albion Ridge Rd on Fri 5/28. Four
      LONG-BILLED CURLEWS were at Virgin Creek Beach on Sat 5/29. Two
      WANDERING TATTLERS, one at Little River and one at Glass Beach, were
      still hanging around on Sat 5/29. GRAY JAYS were at the upper
      campground at Van Damme on Sat 5/29 and Sun 5/30.

      On Sun afternoon (5/30) during a two hour pelagic we saw approximately
      200 SOOTY SHEARWATERS, 20 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, 100 CASSIN'S AUKLETS,
      and 2 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA