Hull Mt

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2004
      An unexpected day off turned into a Hull Mt./Lake Pillsbury trip. Just north of Hull one of the remaining snow fields blocked the road. I ended up walking to and beyond Windy Gap (keeping a wary eye out for the animals that left the distinctive bear tracks along the road).
      Many of the usual suspects were recorded ; Dusky Flycatchers (common), Red-breasted Sapsuckers, Green-tailed Towhees (Lake only), and White-headed Woodpeckers Cassins Finch and Townsend's Solitaire in Mendocino County only.
      Bonus birds were; a Rock Wren below Hull Mt summit in Lake and a calling Northern Goshawk in the Hull Creek drainage (Mendocino).

      Near Lake Pillsbury while sitting in my vehicle at the southeast corner of the runway and having just decided there was nothing left to see in this area a male and female Lawrence's Goldfinch's flew up and started feeding about 10 feet from me.
      They stayed so long I was the one that finally had to leave.

      On the way back I checked out the established Blue Grouse location for Lake (about 2 miles from Soda Creek right next to
      "The Slides" road 301) and they were still calling despite the windy conditions, the afternoon time and the late date.
      Jerry

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2011
        Additional remarks on our trip yesterday. On our way north we stopped at Brushy Pt and heard the woodpecker. Then on the way back we again heard it calling. But just to "confirm" Chuck suggested I play a recording. The bird responded immediately and flew into a snag right near us. Felt somewhat strange to be expending that much effort to get a visual on an Acorn Woodpecker in Mendocino County.

        The Northern Goshawk was Chuck's first for his Lake list and was only the 4th winter record for the county.
        Jerry White