Great-tailed Grackle

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2001
      This morning in Lake County I found a very vocal adult male Great-tailed Grackle. The bird was in Library Park in Lakeport and was first seen about 10:30 am. I last saw the bird at about 3:30 PM. I again searched for the bird between 5 & 6 PM with no success.
      It basically moved from the willow tree along the shoreline south of TNT restaurant through the main part of the park behind the "library" building.
      This is the third record for the county but the first time local birders have seen one here.

      Jerry White (#280)

      note: the Black Terns found on Sunday put the Lake County list at 297.

    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2006
        Friday Aug 25 * This afternoon at 17:50 Chuck Vaughn and I found a GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE in Albion. We were driving south on Hwy 1 and the bird was flying north. It perched in a tree just east of Hwy 1 on the south side of the Albion River. The bird then few and perched briefly on the east railing of the Hwy 1 bridge over the Albion River. Finally, the bird flew to the group of eucalyptus trees at the northwest end of the bridge. By driving a short distance up the airport road that T's into Hwy 1 at the northeast end of the bridge we could observe the grackle perched in the top of one of these eucalyptus trees. The bird was still there when we left. This is only the second or third record for GTGR in Mendocino County.

        Good Birding.

        Matthew Matthiessen
        Ukiah, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
          Thu, 31 Aug 2006 -- This morning at 08:45 I found the GREAT-TAILED
          GRACKLE in Albion after some searching. I saw it flying north over the
          Post Office, across the river, and into the eucalyptus trees along the
          road down to the Albion River Campground. I could not find it again - a
          slippery bird. I did not find the Yellow-headed Blackbird. Down Spring
          Grove Road there were large numbers of Caspian Terns flying by and
          about a half-dozen ELEGANT TERNS.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21 3:07 PM
            21 July 2008 - Monday - 2:30 PM - I just saw a female Great-tailed
            Grackle feeding a begging fledged young near a private pond along
            University Road, Hopland. This is the first breeding record for
            Mendocino County. I was able to take a few photos to document
            this. Other birds seen: 2 Long-billed Dowitchers, 2 Least
            Sandpipers, 6 Western Sandpipers, 1 Gr. Yellowlegs. Good
            Birding. Bob Keiffer

            Robert J. Keiffer
            Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
            4070 University Road
            Hopland, CA 95449
            (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

            arena." Theodore Roosevelt

          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 29 2:40 PM
              Tuesday - July 29, 2008 - 11:15 AM - Once again I refound the female
              Great-tailed Grackle and begging but fully fledged
              juvenile. Unfortunately this location along University Road is
              private property and not really viewable from the road. The birds
              foraged along the edge of the pond for about ten minutes and then
              flushed with a mixed group of blackbirds and starlings. I could not
              refind them afterwards. The juvenile makes a begging single note
              call that sounds like a loud, raspy song sparrow call note. If
              anyone is truly interested in seeing these birds then let me know
              your contact information. Then If I refind the birds I will call you
              and try to keep track of them until you arrive (reasonable travel
              distance of course). Good birding. Bob Keiffer.