bluebird question, woodpecker mating

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2004
      On May 3rd or so Amy Leist and I saw an acorn woodpecker fly into a tree. Squawking and fluttering promptly ensued, and two entangled birds then spiraled and squawked their way 20 feet or so to the ground. 18" grass surrounded them but I was able to tiptoe to where I could watch them. They remained there, one bird on top, with occasional fluttering and squawking and regular rhythmic movement for FOUR OR FIVE minutes! Then they flew back up into the tree.

      Has anyone else ever observed such a thing?

      And... I naively bought a house for western bluebirds that is difficult to attach to a post, as the sides are not plumb and the roof overhangs the sides. It can be done - I just thought of how - but I'm wondering if anyone knows if bluebirds will nest in a house that is suspended from hooks and therefore swings. Since they are cavity nesters, and cavities usually don't swing and sway in the breeze, or in response to bird movements, I am wondering if they would reject such a house. I know it's sort of late to put one up, but you never know about second broods or late first broods.

      Kate