Re: [Mendobirds] Nesting Ospreys

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13 3:58 PM
      Thu, 13 May 2004 -- This morning I found another Osprey nest on the Eel
      River about halfway between Trout Creek and the Lake County line. It is on
      the north side of the county road in the broken top of a fir and at an
      angle of view not likely to be noticed from a vehicle. This second nest is
      only about 1.5 miles upstream from the nest I reported on Tuesday. I don't
      know the status of either of these nests other than that they have adults
      sitting in them. One Osprey has a broken primary near the tip of the left
      wing which may help in individual recognition.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley

      At 21:56 2004 05 13, Jim Armstrong wrote:
      >Last fall I spotted an Osprey nest on Highway 20 where Marina Drive
      >turns down to Lake Mendocino. PG&E took down the nest this winter
      >and installed some angle irons to prevent its reconstruction. It is
      >possible that one or both of that pair has found an even better spot
      >about a quarter mile to the northwest. Easily seen going either way
      >on Hwy 20 is the tallest high tension tower featuring a blob at the
      >top. I found the best vantage by going up Road A to Road B then
      >east to Riccetti Lane (where Road B turns north). This point is
      >about 2-300 yards due north of the tower and the nest is quite
      >active with at least one chick and frequent visits from the adults
      >bearing fish dinners.
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13 5:16 PM
        I wonder why they don't just erect special Osprey platforms for them
        like they do on the east coast, rather than just risking their building
        in another dangerous location?

        Just a thought,

        Feather