Eel River Morning

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2004
      Tue, 11 May 2004, 07:30-10:15 -- I did more birding than jogging this
      morning along the logging road by the Eel River near Potter Valley. Quite a
      morning chorus of duelling grosbeaks, tanagers, and a dozen other species
      singing (s). Highlights were a pair of OSPREYS on a nest right over the
      county road about 1/2 mile upstream from the Pioneer Bridge, OLIVE-SIDED
      FLYCATCHER, MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER, BALD EAGLE, YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS,
      YELLOW WARBLER, PILEATED WOODPECKERS, and others - full list below. Things
      look good for the Peregrine Audubon field trip here on the 22nd. The
      logging road is still closed to most traffic due to a slide, and it is
      quiet and dustless for good birding. Although Purple Martins can be heard
      overhead occasionally in Potter Valley, they do not appear to be nesting
      under the bridge where they did from 1989-2002. I heard an unusual quail
      call this morning, and I was not certain which species it was. It turned
      out to be a male California Quail stepping very gingerly around a large
      garter snake.
      TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS can still be found easily at the end of
      Burris Lane, and the AMERICAN DIPPERS have fledged one brood and appear to
      be refurbishing the nest for a second attempt.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Turkey Vulture
      Common Merganser
      Osprey nest, 2 adults
      Bald Eagle 2
      Red-tailed Hawk
      Golden Eagle
      California Quail s
      Anna's Hummingbird
      Belted Kingfisher
      Acorn Woodpecker
      Hairy Woodpecker
      Northern Flicker
      Pileated Woodpecker 2
      Western Wood-Pewee s
      Olive-sided Flycatcher s
      Black Phoebe
      Ash-throated Flycatcher s
      Cassin's Vireo s
      Warbling Vireo s
      Steller's Jay
      Western Scrub-Jay
      American Crow
      Common Raven
      Tree Swallow
      Violet-green Swallow
      N. Rough-winged Swallow
      Cliff Swallow
      Barn Swallow
      American Robin s
      Wrentit s
      European Starling
      Orange-crowned Warbler s
      Yellow Warbler s
      MacGillivray's Warbler s (same place, Joanne)
      Wilson's Warbler s
      Yellow-breasted Chat s
      Western Tanager s
      Spotted Towhee s