Lake and Colusa counties

  • John Luther
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2004
      April 18 I birded Lake and Colusa counties in the sprinkles and under the
      nice cloud cover. I started by owling and poorwilling along highway 20 west
      of Williams to Lake Co. I heard W SCREECH and GREAT HORNED OWLS and
      POORWILL. At Clear Lake State Park there was a fly over light SWAINSON'S
      HAWK, a second year BALD EAGLE and at least two OSPREY. Along the lake
      shore and over the park were many swallows including at least one BANK
      SWALLOW. Along the Lucerne Cut Off at the north end of the lake in a
      flooded field were up to 20 G YELLOWLEGS, a BLUE-WINGED TEAL with about 20
      CINNAMON TEAL, and 3 HOODED MERGANSERS.

      Back in Colusa County there was a male GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE at the Maxwell
      Sewage Ponds. Colusa National Wildlife Refuge had at least 8 RUFOUS
      HUMMINGBIRDS in the Bottlebrush as you drive into the refuge. Just beyond
      this it was great for shorebirds. Just beyond (about 10 feet) the
      information signs there was a SOLITARY SANDPIPER in a small pond. Many
      other shorebirds including 6 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS were scattered over the
      mud flats in this area. Many AMERICAN BITTERNS were seen throughout the
      refuge. After driving the rest of the refuge (and seeing a LEAST BITTERN
      fly along the north-south road on the west side of the hugh pond on the
      south side of the bridge) I looked again for the Solitary Sandpiper on my
      way out. It was still there and while I was watching it a second SOLITARY
      SANDPIPER flew in and landed about 10 feet from the first one. They were
      still there when I left.

      It was a nice day in the valley.

      John Luther
      Oakland
    • John Luther
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2012
        This afternoon on my drive up to Lake Co my Red Jeep smoothly passed over
        400,000 miles before we got to Borax Lake near the town of Clearlake.  At the
        south end of the lake there was a continuing BLACK-NECKED STILT and a continuing
        MARBLED GODWIT along with over 40 Least and Western Sandpipers and at the north
        end of the lake 22 Red-necked Phalarope.

        Only about 40 miles to the east of Borax Lake in Colusa Co near the town of
        Williams at the pond on Husted Road about .1 mile south of highway 20 there were
        24 Black-necked Stilt, a Black Tern, a Wilson's Phalarope, many dowitcher, Least
        and Western Sandpiper and Greater Yellowlegs.  And it was only 88 degrees
        instead of the 94 degrees at Borax Lake.

        Happy Birding!

        John Luther
        Oakland