May 13, 2001 Ft. Bragg pelagic

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2001
      This is a late report of the pelagic trip from Fort Bragg on May 13. Matthew
      Matthiessen already reported a bird list, but the following list is a
      compilation from the leaders of the trip who were: Jim Danzenbaker, Tristan
      McKee, Peter Pyle, Debra Shearwater, Linda Terrill, and Scott Terrill.
      There were 25 participant aboard the "Trek II," skippered by Rick Thornton.
      The trip ran from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Weather was mostly sunny, Beaufort
      1-2.5. It was a very pleasant day. Fewer birds were found offshore. We
      visited a new area for us¬čthe Vizcaino Canyon, along with Vizcaino Knoll,
      and Noyo Canyon. We spent a considerable amount of time over the 1,000
      fathom line. Highlights of the trip included the 322 Black-footed and 3
      Laysan Albatrosses, 15 Long-tailed Jaegers, and the offshore Bottlenose
      Dolphin. Everyone was hoping, of course, for a Pterodroma, especially as a
      Mruphy's Petrel had just been found on the May 11th Bodega Bay trip only 27
      miles offshore. The trip was organized by Debra Shearwater/Shearwater
      Journeys. Our next trips are scheduled for Aug. 18, Sept. 5 and 18. Local
      discounts are available.
      Common Loon-3
      Pacific Loon-8
      Red-throated Loon-1