Hooded Orioles in Ukiah

  • Paul Hawks
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2004
      A few weeks ago I reported the presence of Hooded Orioles in our neighborhood (northeast of Ukiah High School). A nesting pair has again taken up residence at 501 Sherry Drive where twin fan palms dominate the front yard. The nest is easy to see from the public sidewalk. The nest is in the eastern-most tree, on the east side of the tree). The nest was essentially built in one day, Friday. On Friday morning I spotted two sites about 2 1/2 feet apart where a few strands of fibrous material indicated the start of nest-building. Friday evening, when I returned, the one site displayed what appeared to be a finished nest.

      I am curious as to the nesting material used. It is long, string-like pale-yellow fiber. The same nesting material was used last year.

      Good birding.

      Paul Hawks

    • Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        Wed, 03 May 2006 -- During the last week I have been checking various places around Ukiah for HOODED ORIOLES. Although they may still be around, I have not seen any at some of the locations where they have been in recent years: Sherry Drive, Empire Drive, Pomo Circle. But I have found two locations in the Oak Manor district with both males and females present: the fan palm at 875 Maya Way, and the fan palm at 225 Pomo Drive. In both locations there are thick cedars nearby where the males are often singing from a hidden location. On April 27 I also saw a BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON hidden in the branches of the redwood at 230 Washoe Drive.