Blue Grouse

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2004
      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 -- Today Joanne Haller and I birded in the Eel River
      drainage above Potter Valley. Along the county road to Lake Pilsbury we
      found a booming BLUE GROUSE between milemarkers 33 and 34 in Lake County.
      By triangulation it seemed to be in a large ponderosa pine with a broken
      top to the east of the road. There may have been a second bird booming on
      the other side of the road. It was a very lovely morning with a nice mix of
      spring migrants. Along the logging road about 1/2 mile upstream from the
      Pioneer Bridge we found a male MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER. This is the earliest
      record ever by over a week. The logging road is now closed to vehicle
      traffic due to a slip-out about 0.3 mi. up. That makes it much quieter and
      better for birding.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
        This morning at 8:50 AM there was a Blue Grouse calling on Low Gap Road west of Ukiah . This was about 3/10ths of a mile past mile marker 15.95 just past a cattle guard. This is an established and known location.

        Somewhat earlier on Potter Valley Road I saw 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, the first of the year for me.

        In Lake County the Eurasian Wigeon was at the north end of Borax Lake. I was not able to locate the Pacific Loon or Glaucous Gull. Jerry White

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5 8:37 AM
          Wednesday 4 May 2005 - I had the fortune to go out onto Mendocino Redwood
          Company lands southwest of Philo. During the morning we heard probably
          20 to 30 male blue grouse hooting. My sense from speaking with MRC
          personnel is that the wild hog population really crashed about 10 years
          ago... and the Blue Grouse numbers have apparently (casual observations ...
          no actual transects or counts) increased during this last decade. My
          theory is that after heavy timber harvesting in the county during the
          1950's and 60's that the blue grouse population crashed ... and was
          suppressed until the habitat began to recover. In combination with this,
          I believe that the wild hogs predated nests quite heavily (since grouse
          are ground nesters) in areas that had high wild feral pig
          populations. Now that both the pig population is way down and the forests
          are recovering I believe that blue grouse population in the west and
          southern part of Mendocino County are bouncing back. In recent years I
          have had several reports of single grouse in very out-of-character places
          ... which I think represents young individuals expanding or emigrating from
          their "traditional "home population" area.

          I also just learned of Blue Grouse in the extreme SE portion of Mendocino
          County ... east of the Russian River and almost to the Sonoma County line.

          Happy birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center