birds in the hand; HREC field trip

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2004
      2 Peregrine Audubon Calendar Announcements (please note that these were written for the general public)

      Tuesday, April 20, 7:30 p.m. Birds in the Hand A dynamic slideshow on mist netting will be presented by Chuck Vaughn of the Hopland Research and Extension Center. Mist netting is a safe and gentle technique for catching, banding, and releasing birds. It enables scientists to track changes in bird populations and provides information crucial to habitat protection. Chuck is a highly-respected ornithologist and an entertaining speaker who will share close-up images of birds he has netted and will throw in some tips on bird identification as well., Ukiah Methodist Church, 270 North Pine St. Sponsored by Peregrine Audubon Society.

      Saturday, April 24: Field Trip Come revel in Spring Migration and lusty courtship songs! Join a birding-watching tour of the 5,300 acre Hopland Research and Extension Center led by dedicated staff scientist and ornithologist Chuck Vaughn. We will see and hear brilliantly colored Orioles, Tanagers, and Wood Ducks, as well as California Thrashers, Sage Sparrows, Red shouldered Hawks, and probably a Golden Eagle or two. Meet at Long's parking lot at 7:45 a.m. or meet at the Hopland Research Center at 8:30. Bring lunch, water, binoculars, and a favorite bird ID book. Loaner binoculars may be available. Please come prepared to carpool. Call 467-1341 for more information.

      Submitted by Kate Marianchild 707 463-0839 I'm heading to the Dry Tortugas National Wildlife Refuge in the Florida Keys for spring migration there, so don't expect to reach me between April 14 and May 1.