Low Gap Blue Grouse

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 5:32 PM
      Greetings Mendobirders: I had the opportunity to get up Low Gap early this
      morning to look/listen for Blue Grouse, primarily. Unfortunately it was
      very windy at the top of the gap. Fortunately I was still able to hear at
      least 2 males "booming". They were in exactly the same spot that Matthew
      Matthiessen found them last year. Go 0.75 miles past the second cattle
      guard (located at the top of the gap). About 0.1 miles past a long,
      sweeping meadow just below the road, the road makes 2 sharp lefts in a
      backwards "S" and the birds were best heard below the second left
      turn. There is a very wide and dry turnout here. There were lots of
      recent arrivals singing up there.

      Chuck