Blue Grouse

  • vishnu
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004
      On Sunday 3/21 on private property along Robinson Creek Rd. (just west of
      Ukiah) a male Blue Grouse was found booming in the top of a large fir tree.
      Long and excellent views of him were had. A short while later and several
      hundred yards away equally fine views were had of a motionless female Blue
      Grouse perched on the ground.
      (Although I was no longer able to hear the male at that point I rather hoped
      that her hearing was more acute than mine so as to not have all his ardor be
      for nought and whatever passes for love between grouse go unrequited in this
      lovely Spring.)
      Vishnu
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2004
        Fri, 16 Apr 2004 -- Today Joanne Haller and I birded in the Eel River
        drainage above Potter Valley. Along the county road to Lake Pilsbury we
        found a booming BLUE GROUSE between milemarkers 33 and 34 in Lake County.
        By triangulation it seemed to be in a large ponderosa pine with a broken
        top to the east of the road. There may have been a second bird booming on
        the other side of the road. It was a very lovely morning with a nice mix of
        spring migrants. Along the logging road about 1/2 mile upstream from the
        Pioneer Bridge we found a male MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER. This is the earliest
        record ever by over a week. The logging road is now closed to vehicle
        traffic due to a slip-out about 0.3 mi. up. That makes it much quieter and
        better for birding.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
          This morning at 8:50 AM there was a Blue Grouse calling on Low Gap Road west of Ukiah . This was about 3/10ths of a mile past mile marker 15.95 just past a cattle guard. This is an established and known location.

          Somewhat earlier on Potter Valley Road I saw 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, the first of the year for me.

          In Lake County the Eurasian Wigeon was at the north end of Borax Lake. I was not able to locate the Pacific Loon or Glaucous Gull. Jerry White

        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5 8:37 AM
            Wednesday 4 May 2005 - I had the fortune to go out onto Mendocino Redwood
            Company lands southwest of Philo. During the morning we heard probably
            20 to 30 male blue grouse hooting. My sense from speaking with MRC
            personnel is that the wild hog population really crashed about 10 years
            ago... and the Blue Grouse numbers have apparently (casual observations ...
            no actual transects or counts) increased during this last decade. My
            theory is that after heavy timber harvesting in the county during the
            1950's and 60's that the blue grouse population crashed ... and was
            suppressed until the habitat began to recover. In combination with this,
            I believe that the wild hogs predated nests quite heavily (since grouse
            are ground nesters) in areas that had high wild feral pig
            populations. Now that both the pig population is way down and the forests
            are recovering I believe that blue grouse population in the west and
            southern part of Mendocino County are bouncing back. In recent years I
            have had several reports of single grouse in very out-of-character places
            ... which I think represents young individuals expanding or emigrating from
            their "traditional "home population" area.

            I also just learned of Blue Grouse in the extreme SE portion of Mendocino
            County ... east of the Russian River and almost to the Sonoma County line.

            Happy birding. Bob Keiffer

            Robert J. Keiffer
            Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            UC Hopland Research & Extension Center