Pileated woodpecker

  • dsmithferri
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
      Sunday, March 21, 2:10 pm, Pileated woodpecker flying west across
      highway 101, near West Road in Redwood Valley. This is the first
      pileated woodpecker I've seen since the late fall. Usually we see
      them near our house on Mill Creek Rd into the winter. I'm wondering
      what their migratory patterns are, and whether other birders have
      been seeing them this year...George, is it appropriate to use this
      group to ask questions like this? Also, since I'm so new to the
      group, I don't know well what qualifies as worthy of posting. I know
      that these woopeckers aren't rare, but since I haven't seen one for
      several months, I thought it might be noteworthy. Also, we hear a
      great horned owl every morning and evening at our home. Is this
      something people in this group would be interested in knowing?

      Thanks,

      David
    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2004
        Hi David,

        I like these communications and I'm hope they're fine with everyone. This listserv is mostly used for postings of rarities or migration arrival times and such, and tends to be used mainly by very experienced birders. I used to post comments like you just have, but have gotten a little intimidated by what I imagine (or know, rather) to be my naivete in the eyes of more experienced birders. So I stopped talking about things like watching red-shoulder hawks mate a while ago.

        But you've reminded me how much I love hearing about bird behavior, or about birds that are not uncommon but are not common either, like pileated woodpeckers. I like knowing where I might find them, because I'm in the dark, being fairly new here. And I like hearing you wonder about the significance of seeing one after a long hiatus. (I haven't seen one in a long time, where I live, either). And I think that postings that reflect excitement are just as important as postings about things of interest mainly to listers.

        I'm excited that a pair of Oak Titmice are building a nest in a box that I put up last spring that didn't get used then. The box is abut 10 feet from my house and the opening faces the house, so I'll get a good view. I'll be interested to see if they are a new pair or an old pair that has switched from a nest site in a dead oak branch over my house. That site had an opening in the top of a horizontal branch, and I always wondered how or if they stayed dry in the rain.

        So thanks, David. I'd like to hear from others on the subject of appropriate communications.

        Kate

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2004
          Post away!

          The more communication the better!

          That's one person's opinion, and I learn something from almost everything I
          read, common birds or not.

          Ron

          Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
          ron@...
          707/839-0900
          Fax 839-0867
          www.madriverbio.com
          Mad River Biologists
          1497 Central Avenue
          McKinleyville, CA 95519

          Sunday, March 21, 2:10 pm, Pileated woodpecker flying west across
          highway 101, near West Road in Redwood Valley. This is the first
          pileated woodpecker I've seen since the late fall. Usually we see
          them near our house on Mill Creek Rd into the winter. I'm wondering
          what their migratory patterns are, and whether other birders have
          been seeing them this year...George, is it appropriate to use this
          group to ask questions like this? Also, since I'm so new to the
          group, I don't know well what qualifies as worthy of posting. I know
          that these woopeckers aren't rare, but since I haven't seen one for
          several months, I thought it might be noteworthy. Also, we hear a
          great horned owl every morning and evening at our home. Is this
          something people in this group would be interested in knowing?

          Thanks,

          David

          these addresses:

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Janet Rosen
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2004
            Hi. I tend to agree with Ron.
            I don't want to read a lot of "daily journal" entries, but I think that
            sometimes a nicely written short post noting some time spent watching
            the behavior of the "usual gang" is enjoyable.

            --- Ron LeValley <ron@...> wrote:
            > That's one person's opinion, and I learn something from almost
            > everything I read, common birds or not.

            =====
            Janet Rosen
            http://www.zanshinart.com
            Open eyes, open mind, open heart

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
          • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
              Mendobirders,

              I agree that all postings about birds in Mendocino should be welcome.
              Sometimes new birders see thing with fresh eyes and remind of things we have become
              too familiar with. They also get out more than some of us "experienced"
              birders! It is easy enough to delete those messages you are not interested in.

              John Hunter
              Arcata, CA
            • Becky Stenberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 14, 2008
                Yesterday I was watching a Pileated woodpecker drumming on an old growth snag up on Ramsey Ridge. While I was watching he was zoomed by an Anna's hummingbird. It seemed like an unlikely spot for a hummingbird, up there among redwood branches, but it occurred to me, maybe he was attracted by the red head?

                Becky Stenberg
                Glen Blair