golden eagle sighting

  • dsmithferri
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2004
      On Sunday, March 21, at 2pm, driving east on Black Bart Rd, Rachael
      and I saw a golden eagle in very hot pursuit of a red-shoulder hawk.
      The birds came swooping down across the road about 30 feet in front
      of our car, into a grove of oak trees on the south side of the road,
      then back up again out of the trees, over them, and out of sight
      behind them and into the valley. It was quite something to see how
      small the hawk appeared, and to see how agile and fierce the eagle
      was. We were able to stop the car and watch for a few seconds, but
      we didn't have a chance to look with our binoculars. I've only seen
      a golden eagle twice before, and both times I was able to take my
      time and use binoculars. I hope someone will tell me if I'm crazy,
      and these eagles never chase/hunt hawks...I am quite sure the bird
      in pursuit was not a red-tail hawk...