Re: [Mendobirds] Mackerricher State Park birds

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
      Hi, Douglas,

      I have looked at a lot of photos and drawings/paintings of Nelson's
      Sharp-tailed and I came across that as well: more orange than yellow.

      In the Sibley's Guide, for example, the yellow seems brighter in juvenile
      birds - and that's not possible this time of year, yet. Apparently, the
      interior birds show more orangeish tinges than the Atlantic races, which
      seem to show more yellow than orange, and neither one would be found on the
      Mendocino coast.

      At any rate, if an accidental Atlantic or interior race of this species ever
      showed up here, it would be worth going out and looking for, eh?

      Feather