somewhat off topic: no birds, landscapes...

  • Janet Rosen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
      Howdy, all.
      During April, Tangerine Gallery will be showing my latest Mendocino
      inland area landscapes, including such birding hotspots as the Ukiah
      sewage ponds, the old bridge in Potter Valley, and more. If you are in
      town and free, please come by for the opening reception Sat. April 3
      from 6 to 8 pm.
      Back to the binoculars....
      cheers
      janet

      =====
      Janet Rosen
      http://www.zanshinart.com
      Open eyes, open mind, open heart

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
        Hi, Douglas,

        I have looked at a lot of photos and drawings/paintings of Nelson's
        Sharp-tailed and I came across that as well: more orange than yellow.

        In the Sibley's Guide, for example, the yellow seems brighter in juvenile
        birds - and that's not possible this time of year, yet. Apparently, the
        interior birds show more orangeish tinges than the Atlantic races, which
        seem to show more yellow than orange, and neither one would be found on the
        Mendocino coast.

        At any rate, if an accidental Atlantic or interior race of this species ever
        showed up here, it would be worth going out and looking for, eh?

        Feather