Re: [Mendobirds] Mackerricher State Park birds

  • Douglas Shaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
      Hi All,

      In my opinion Nelson's have goldish-orange in the face not the bright yellow that distinguishes Savannah. The Nelson's bright facial patch alos takes up more space on the face than Savannah & Lincoln's.

      Doug Shaw
      Santa Rosa, CA
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
        Howdy, all.
        During April, Tangerine Gallery will be showing my latest Mendocino
        inland area landscapes, including such birding hotspots as the Ukiah
        sewage ponds, the old bridge in Potter Valley, and more. If you are in
        town and free, please come by for the opening reception Sat. April 3
        from 6 to 8 pm.
        Back to the binoculars....
        cheers
        janet

        =====
        Janet Rosen
        http://www.zanshinart.com
        Open eyes, open mind, open heart

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
          Hi, Douglas,

          I have looked at a lot of photos and drawings/paintings of Nelson's
          Sharp-tailed and I came across that as well: more orange than yellow.

          In the Sibley's Guide, for example, the yellow seems brighter in juvenile
          birds - and that's not possible this time of year, yet. Apparently, the
          interior birds show more orangeish tinges than the Atlantic races, which
          seem to show more yellow than orange, and neither one would be found on the
          Mendocino coast.

          At any rate, if an accidental Atlantic or interior race of this species ever
          showed up here, it would be worth going out and looking for, eh?

          Feather

          > In my opinion Nelson's have goldish-orange in the face not the bright
          yellow that distinguishes Savannah. The Nelson's bright facial patch alos
          takes up more space on the face than Savannah & Lincoln's.

          > Doug Shaw
          > Santa Rosa, CA

          these addresses:

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor