Re: [Mendobirds] Mackerricher State Park birds

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
      Hello, Brian,

      On the northern California coast, we have Savannah (with the yellow
      concentrated on the lores) and Lincoln's Sparrows (with the overall
      yellowish appearance in some races) that look a lot like the Nelson's
      Sharp-tailed. They have a lot more yellow on their bodies than other races
      of Savannah Sparrow - and, while I personally have never seen a Nelson's
      Sharp-tailed and do not know if anyone on this list has, I have consulted
      several different range maps and found that if a Nelson's Sharp-tailed
      Sparrow were found here (MacKerricher State Park), it would be considered a
      rare treat.

      I hope someone passes this on the Toby! She'd be very excited about this -
      if there are Nelson's Sharp-tailed's around!

      Thanks for your wonderful list. This time of year on the Mendocino coast can
      bring some wonderful sightings of birds, and you caught some really nice
      days to do it, too! (Usually, it's raining, cold and blustery this time of
      year).

      Sincerely,

      Feather Forestwalker
    • Douglas Shaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
        Hi All,

        In my opinion Nelson's have goldish-orange in the face not the bright yellow that distinguishes Savannah. The Nelson's bright facial patch alos takes up more space on the face than Savannah & Lincoln's.

        Doug Shaw
        Santa Rosa, CA
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Janet Rosen
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
          Howdy, all.
          During April, Tangerine Gallery will be showing my latest Mendocino
          inland area landscapes, including such birding hotspots as the Ukiah
          sewage ponds, the old bridge in Potter Valley, and more. If you are in
          town and free, please come by for the opening reception Sat. April 3
          from 6 to 8 pm.
          Back to the binoculars....
          cheers
          janet

          =====
          Janet Rosen
          http://www.zanshinart.com
          Open eyes, open mind, open heart

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Feather Forestwalker
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
            Hi, Douglas,

            I have looked at a lot of photos and drawings/paintings of Nelson's
            Sharp-tailed and I came across that as well: more orange than yellow.

            In the Sibley's Guide, for example, the yellow seems brighter in juvenile
            birds - and that's not possible this time of year, yet. Apparently, the
            interior birds show more orangeish tinges than the Atlantic races, which
            seem to show more yellow than orange, and neither one would be found on the
            Mendocino coast.

            At any rate, if an accidental Atlantic or interior race of this species ever
            showed up here, it would be worth going out and looking for, eh?

            Feather

            > In my opinion Nelson's have goldish-orange in the face not the bright
            yellow that distinguishes Savannah. The Nelson's bright facial patch alos
            takes up more space on the face than Savannah & Lincoln's.

            > Doug Shaw
            > Santa Rosa, CA

            these addresses:

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor