Mackerricher State Park birds

  • brdman342000
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12 8:02 PM
      Hello birders,

      I visited the area on Saturday, March 6, and am from Phoenix, AZ.
      I saw about 7 or 8 new life birds in and around Mackerricher Park.
      On the rocks near the main parking lot there were a group of about 10
      Ruddy Turnstones next to the Sea Lions. Walking north at the
      Inglenook Fen sign, I think I saw 3 Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows in
      the dunes/grass just east of the main footpath. These birds had very
      yellow faces and looked different than the other sparrows in the area.
      I don't know if these birds are unusual here.
      Species seen:

      American Pipit (on rocks near water)
      Ruddy Turnstone
      White-tailed Kite
      Surf Scoter (Ten-mile river just west of bridge)
      Snowy Plover
      Sanderling
      Western Meadowlark
      Pelagic Cormorant
      Song Sparrow
      Osprey (diving for fish near shore)
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Savannah Sparrow
      No. Harrier
      Nelson's Sharp-tailed sparrow?

      Good birding.
      Brian Ison
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14 8:15 AM
        Hello, Brian,

        On the northern California coast, we have Savannah (with the yellow
        concentrated on the lores) and Lincoln's Sparrows (with the overall
        yellowish appearance in some races) that look a lot like the Nelson's
        Sharp-tailed. They have a lot more yellow on their bodies than other races
        of Savannah Sparrow - and, while I personally have never seen a Nelson's
        Sharp-tailed and do not know if anyone on this list has, I have consulted
        several different range maps and found that if a Nelson's Sharp-tailed
        Sparrow were found here (MacKerricher State Park), it would be considered a
        rare treat.

        I hope someone passes this on the Toby! She'd be very excited about this -
        if there are Nelson's Sharp-tailed's around!

        Thanks for your wonderful list. This time of year on the Mendocino coast can
        bring some wonderful sightings of birds, and you caught some really nice
        days to do it, too! (Usually, it's raining, cold and blustery this time of
        year).

        Sincerely,

        Feather Forestwalker
      • Douglas Shaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14 8:33 AM
          Hi All,

          In my opinion Nelson's have goldish-orange in the face not the bright yellow that distinguishes Savannah. The Nelson's bright facial patch alos takes up more space on the face than Savannah & Lincoln's.

          Doug Shaw
          Santa Rosa, CA
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Janet Rosen
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14 3:32 PM
            Howdy, all.
            During April, Tangerine Gallery will be showing my latest Mendocino
            inland area landscapes, including such birding hotspots as the Ukiah
            sewage ponds, the old bridge in Potter Valley, and more. If you are in
            town and free, please come by for the opening reception Sat. April 3
            from 6 to 8 pm.
            Back to the binoculars....
            cheers
            janet

            =====
            Janet Rosen
            http://www.zanshinart.com
            Open eyes, open mind, open heart

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Feather Forestwalker
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14 9:08 PM
              Hi, Douglas,

              I have looked at a lot of photos and drawings/paintings of Nelson's
              Sharp-tailed and I came across that as well: more orange than yellow.

              In the Sibley's Guide, for example, the yellow seems brighter in juvenile
              birds - and that's not possible this time of year, yet. Apparently, the
              interior birds show more orangeish tinges than the Atlantic races, which
              seem to show more yellow than orange, and neither one would be found on the
              Mendocino coast.

              At any rate, if an accidental Atlantic or interior race of this species ever
              showed up here, it would be worth going out and looking for, eh?

              Feather

              > In my opinion Nelson's have goldish-orange in the face not the bright
              yellow that distinguishes Savannah. The Nelson's bright facial patch alos
              takes up more space on the face than Savannah & Lincoln's.

              > Doug Shaw
              > Santa Rosa, CA

              these addresses:

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor