Glaucous Gull

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
      28 February 2004, Saturday, There was a first-year Glaucous Gull at Laguna Point beach with an assortment of other gulls. One Black-legged Kittiwake flew by also. This was all about 3:00 pm. Bob Keiffer

    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
        I have posted two photos of what I believe is a Glaucous Gull (1st
        winter) spotted at the North/West corner of the Mendocino Headlands
        this afternoon at approx. 2:30.

        Since I'm not the greatest at identifying gulls would someone please
        confirm or correct my posting. I'm using a new method to upgrade my
        gull skills. Take alot of pictures and go home and get the books out.

        Richard Hubacek
      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
          Hi, Rich,

          Looks like a first-year Glaucous Gull to me! :) Nice shots.

          Feather

        • Feather Forestwalker
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5 2:36 PM
            Somewhere on this list recently I read that someone had spotted a Glaucous Gull at Virgin Creek.

            It was still there yesterday on top of a headland rock separated from the cliffs and not near the creek mouth- resting on the grassy blufftop amongst the Mendocino Indian Paintbrushes and other wildflowers. . .it was pretty windy out.

            Solid white bird with transluscent wingtips and a dark beak, larger than most of the other gulls that were milling around overhead.

            Feather

          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
              Thu, 27 Mar 2008 -- Joanne Haller and I birded the north coast
              Thursday from Ten Mile River to Navarro River. It was a beautiful,
              clear day with an onshore wind, but not very birdy. The most
              interesting bird we found was a 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL sitting with
              a group of Western Gulls on the beach by the parking lot at Laguna Point.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • birdmanofthewoods
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 22, 2011
                I would rate my gull identification skills as mediocre at best, but if you want to see a sub-adult glaucous gull, it is pretty obvious at McKerricker parking lot. Good spotting by Toby. I completely mis-identificed the bird when I first saw it a couple of days back as a weird glaucous-winged gull as it seems to be mixed in with all the glaucous-winged gulls out there at the moment.

                Anyway, if you feel a need to stare at gulls for a minute or two, the glaucous gull is hanging along the shore at the Laguna Point parking lot. Look for the really BIG gull. Even I could pick it out. Thanks Toby.

                Also seen: single juvinile male white winged scoter that is also hard to miss and has been hanging around McKerricker.

                Rick