Northern Shrike

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 160 , Feb 28, 2004
      Hi all,

      Charlene and I walked south from Ten Mile River this morning and found the
      Northern Shrike on the north side of Inglenook Creek. It was first visible
      perched at the top of a dune about 75 meters east of the haul road on the
      north bank of the creek. We walked inland a short ways and watched it from
      pretty close range. It appeared to be a full adult, with no hint of brown in
      the plumage and no visible barring on the sides of the breast.

      We also saw 22 Snowy Plovers along the beach, 6 of which were banded. Five
      of the banded birds were from the Humboldt population and one was a Santa
      Cruz bird that has been present in Mendocino for a few years.

      Ron LeValley
    • stevestump
      Message 160 of 160 , Nov 15, 2014

        11/15/14 0745