Black Terns

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2001
      In Lake County I found 2 Black Terns (the first record for Lake) on Clear Lake off of Rodman Slough. From highway 29 north of Lakeport take the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff road to the parking area just prior to the bridge (south side). Walk towards the Lake until you can get a view of the numerous buoys out on the lake (two are near a tule island). Amongst the many Forster's Terns look for the Black Terns on a buoy or in flight in the area. The birds were still present at about 3:00 PM when I left.

      About .5 mile past the bridge going towards hiway 20 look for the pond on the west side of the road (many sightings from this location have been reported). There were 6 Wilson's Phalaropes there today. Recently there have been White-faced Ibis, Black-necked Stilts, Dunlin, and a Solitary Sandpiper seen here.

      Earlier in the day at the northeast end of Lake Pillsbury (in northern Lake County) there were 2 White-faced Ibis (a first for this location) and 4 Wilson's Phalaropes.
      On Hull Mountain there was 1 Dusky Flycatcher and several Fox Sparrows. Gathering together before they make there break across the border into Mendocino County were 4 Green-tailed Towhees.