Wood duck volunteer request

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2004
      Thursday, February 26, 2004, - Greetings Mendocino county birders. I
      have just been contacted by Rickie Breaux, Volunteer Chairman of the
      California Wood Duck Program (California Waterfowl Association), concerning
      the need for a volunteer "district manager" for the wood duck program in
      the North Coast area. Many of you remember the late Malcolm King, who
      held this volunteer position with much enthusiasm for several years before
      his tragic accidental death. Malcolm cooperated with a number of agencies
      and landowners throughout the region and established many wood duck nest
      box locations. These nest boxes need routine checking and maintenance for
      them to be successful to the wood ducks and to the program. Malcolm also
      spent time educating the public and especially our youth about the program.

      If there is anyone out there with the desire to volunteer their time to
      head up this program locally I'm sure you will be well rewarded with
      gratitude and a sense of accomplishment for seeing results in the wood duck
      population. Mr. Breaux said that there are some resources available to
      help the volunteer out ... but I am uncertain as to what these resources
      are. CWA will provide training... even to the point of allowing the
      volunteer to leg band the ducks.

      If anyone is interested please contact: Rickie J.
      Breaux rickbro@...

      Thanks, Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture