Iceland Gull? in Mendocino last Saturday

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2004
      Howdy Birdheads,
      I am hoping that some of you can review these photos....especially Mr. Dunn,
      Mr. Morlan, Mr. Singer, Mr. Webb and anyone else with more experience with
      Iceland Gulls than I. I photographed what I believe is an Iceland Gull at
      McKerricher S.P. in Mendocino last Saturday. Is this correct or is it
      impossible to make a positive ID? I anxiously await your feedback.

      I have much better photos that I can send to you upon request (~1.2 mb), but
      I only placed low resolution photos on my website.

      I completely forgot about it until now when I put the images on my computer
      because it was my first time using my digiscoping setup and I didn't think
      that I had good results. Also...I am ashamed to admit that I had casually
      forgotten due to the general lack of CA birder's interest in Iceland Gull
      because of its close taxonomic relationship to Thayer's Gull and I left the
      bird as a "mystery gull" ID at the time. A severe and uncharacteristic
      lapse of judgement on my part. Hope that some of you can refind the bird.
      It was sitting on the beach at the parking lot to Laguna Point.

      see the photos at http://www.cal.net/~ani/photos.htm

      John

      John Sterling
      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 668-8694 (home office)
      530 668-1985 (home)
      916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
      916 752-0899 (cell phone)