Burrowing Owl - Potter Valley

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2004
      Tues, Feb 24, 2004 � This morning I went up to Pine Ave in Potter Valley to try and photograph the Mountain Bluebird George reported yesterday. Didn't find the bluebird but did find a BURROWING OWL. The bird was visible from the Pine Ave Assoc. sign. At the sign face to the southwest. There is a fence running due south about 50 m beyond the sign. Locate the two wooden fenceposts with the wooden cross beam joining them at the top. Look over this crossbeam and into the field beyond. There is a dirt scrape in the field and the BUOW was sitting in this small dirt patch. I couldn't tell if there was a burrow here or just a bare patch.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, CA

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2004
        Tue, 24 Feb 2004 -- As soon as I got Matthew's post, I went right back to
        Pine Ave., having been there less than an hour earlier. Following his good
        directions I found the BURROWING OWL sitting in the scrape just beyond the
        pi-shaped fence posts. Only the top of its crown was visible from the Pine
        Ave. Assoc. sign, but I walked up the road to the yellow 'SLOW' sign where
        I could scope into the hole and see the owl's whole head. Hopefully this
        bird will find the hole to its liking because it is less than 100 m from
        the road and a nice view for this difficult Mendobird.
        No bluebirds of any species today, but the AMERICAN DIPPER was
        singing somewhere near the old bridge on Potter Valley Road. Its favorite
        rocks were covered by waters from last night's rains, but it could be heard
        singing from some hidden location.
        Matthew's directions are copied below. For those unfamiliar with
        Potter Valley, turn onto Potter Valley Road from Hwy 20 about six miles
        east of Hwy 101. Follow this road for 2.25 miles and continue straight on
        East Road about 2 miles further. Turn right onto Pine Ave. and follow it
        about one mile to the sign where the paved county road ends.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2004
          Wed, 25 Feb 2004 -- I don't want to wear out your interest in this bird,
          but the BURROWING OWL on Pine Ave. was sitting outside the same hole in the
          drizzle this afternoon. It dived down the hole when pelted by a spurt of
          rain but came out shortly when it died down. It can disappear completely
          from view down the hole.