Continuing Northern Shrike - 2/21

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2004
      Saturday, Feb 21, I relocated the NORTHERN SHRIKE reported on the 15th
      from the Ten Mile River area by David Jensen. The bird was along the
      Haul Rd about a half mile north of Inglenook Creek (about 1.5 miles
      south of Ten Mile River) at 10:00. At this location a small inlet from
      the ocean comes in next to the road and there are trees and bushes on
      the east side of the road. The shrike was perched in the only tree on
      the west side of the road (a small dead pine tree maybe four feet tall).
      I spotted the perched bird from about 100 yds away. Unfortunately it
      flew seconds later. It disappeared to the southwest behind a mound and
      even though I searched for another 90 minutes I was unable to relocate
      it.

      Also of interest were three BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES and one ROCK
      SANDPIPER at Laguna Point.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, CA