Peregrines @ Hwy 101 S. MENDO

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2004
      Wednesday, February 18, 2004, As I drove south on Highway 101, south of
      Hopland, I observed two adult Peregrine Falcons power-diving a Red-tailed
      Hawk that was flying in front of the face of the large rock historically
      known as Squaw Rock. From the position of the birds and their activity
      I am guessing that the resident pair of Peregrines is once again nesting on
      the ledge on the vertical face of the rock. This ledge is about
      three-quarters the way up the rock on the east-south-east facing side of
      the rock ..... not the alternate nesting ledge on the northeast "mossy"
      face of the rock. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center