Humboldt Bird Report Jan 30 - Feb 6, 2004

  • Robert Hewitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10 4:14 PM
      Humboldt County bird summary Friday January 30 - Friday February 6 2004

      Here is what's been reported over the last week. We are trying to get our
      local information out at least during this Spring in the lead up to both
      Godwit Days, and the Aleutian Canada Goose Festival (see below) Our
      apologies for any errors in this general bird information.

      At the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area Rob Fowler reported 2 GREATER
      WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flying east on February 6.

      At Iverson Ave in Arcata, Steve Tucker had a MERLIN on February 5.

      In Rio Dell Gary Lester reported a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER. It was at the end
      of Davis Road in the riparian next to the Eel River.

      At King Salmon Jim Tietz reported a RED-NECKED GREBE, CASPIAN TERN, 2 COMMON
      MERGANSWERS, HARLEQUIN DUCK and PEREGRINE FALCON. At Humboldt Bay National
      Wildlife Refuge there was a EURASIAN WIGEON, BALD EAGLE, GREATER
      WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, 2 CASPIAN TERNS and ~100 TUNDRA SWANS.

      At the Mad River Slough Jim Tietz and Rebecca Greene had 12 SHORT-EARED
      OWLS, 2 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS on January 31.

      On February 1 they had 9 SHORT-EARED OWLS, 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS, MERLIN, BALD
      EAGLE and an OSPREY.

      At the Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center, Frank Anderson had a SWAMP SPARROW
      down in the adjacent salt marsh on February 3.

      At South G Street Elias Elias saw 2 BARN SWALLOWS at his residence, adjacent
      to the Arcata Marsh.

      At 2nd and H in old town Eureka, Gary Lester reported a male RUFOUS
      HUMMINGBIRD on February 3.

      At the North Jetty of Humboldt Bay, Paul Rousch had a female HARLEQUIN DUCK
      on the south side and a ROCK SANDPIPER out towards the head on February 1.

      On Jacoby Creek Road Pablo Herrera heard a singing CALIFORNIA TOWHEE on
      January 31. The bird was at a residence 3/4 of a mile past the junction with
      Myrtle Ave/Old Arcata Road. at a house with a small pond that has red white
      and blue herons and a giant bald eagle statue. God bless America.

      At HSU Rob Fowler saw a BALD EAGLE on February 1. It was seen from the
      walkway that goes over the 101, flying north.

      At the Arcata Marsh Jeremy Kellerman reported the continuing COMMON MOORHEN.
      On Klopp Lake there was a COMMON GOLDENEYE and a RED KNOT. An OSPREY was
      out in the bay.

      Near the gun club in Manila Ron Ward reported a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS on
      January 31 calling from the spruce forest.

      At the Arcata Marsh Frank Anderson reported the COMMON MOORHEN on January
      30. The bird was on Allen Marsh.

      In the Arcata bottoms (Jackson Ranch and Lanphere roads) Kerry Ross reported
      10000+ ALEUTIAN CANADA GEESE, 2 ROSS' GEESE and BARN SWALLOW on January 30.

      Yours Rob Hewitt and Steve Tucker

      LBJ Enterprises, Eureka, CA (707) 442-0339

      www.godwitdays.com <http://www.godwitdays.com/>
      www.aleutiangoosefestival.org <http://www.aleutiangoosefestival.org/>

      April 16-18th and March 26-28th 2004