Coastal Mendocino 1/25/04

  • jennifer rycenga
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2004
      Dear Mendobirders - Peggy and I had a fine, fun day along the Mendocino
      coast on Sunday January 25. Thanks to all who gave fine directions to the
      GRAY JAYS - we had three right at the Visitor's Center of Van Damme park,
      albeit they scorned the bread we offered from our subs. Otherwise a solid
      day of 65 species. We had the LAYSAN ALBATROSS at Point Arena (3rd year
      I've visited Al), plus a PEREGRINE FALCON at the Point, who flew leisurely
      for a while, then made a fast pass at the ocean, coming up empty (we think
      maybe he was just washing his feet!). At the Mendocino Botanical Gardens,
      we had a two VARIED THRUSH. We were surprised, generally, at how little
      activity there was on the ocean, and how few shorebirds were around in the
      Ft. Bragg area. On previous trips, I had seen a good mix of rocky
      shorebirds at McKerricher, but this time, except for a very large flock of
      BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS (circa 40) and a few BLACK TURNSTONES, high tide did
      not yield anything more unusual - is this a weekend problem?

      We came for shorebirds and seabirds, we got raptors! RED-TAILED HAWK,
      RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, COOPER'S HAWK, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, WHITE-TAILED KITE,
      the aforementioned PEREGRINE FALCON, AMERICAN KESTREL, and a FERRUGINOUS
      HAWK along SR1 about 8 miles north of Point Arena. It seems it is quite a
      good year for FERRUGINOUS HAWKS throughout northern California - my county
      lists are all looking the finer for it!

      Thanks also to the staff at the Audubon center, who were very helpful -

      Jennifer Rycenga and Peggy Macres
      Half Moon Bay