Burrowing Owl on Burris Lane

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 -- At about 11:15 today I had a BURROWING OWL visible from
      the knoll above the pond on Burris Lane, Potter Valley. In 25+ years of
      visiting this spot this is only the second time I've seen one here. Other
      people have reported them occasionally in the Burris Lane/Pine Avenue area
      through the years. This bird was sunning itself atop a clump of rocks on a
      hillside to the NE. As I was watching it through the scope, it stretched up
      tall looking at something and then hopped down quickly behind the rocks.
      Immediately a PRAIRIE FALCON flew through the field of view low over the
      rocks. The owl did not reappear during the next 45 min. Maybe there is a
      secure burrow back there. To the list of raptors seen recently from this
      spot add Red-shouldered Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Burrowing Owl.
      At 11:00 the AMERICAN DIPPER was singing again under the old bridge
      on Potter Valley Road. To the list of birds which have begun singing in the
      last week add White-breasted Nuthatch and Oak Titmouse.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2004
        Wed, 28 Jan 2004 -- This afternoon at 2:45 at the end of Burris Lane,
        Potter Valley, I saw the BURROWING OWL sitting on the same rock as I
        reported on Jan 20. The rock in question is in an isolated clump of
        rocks half-way up the distant grassy slope to the NE. You are not
        going to get a satisfying look at this fellow without a scope since
        it is maybe 400 m off.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA