Lake County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 160 , Jan 16 6:04 PM
      Today near Hidden Valley Lake subdivision (north of Middletown) I found a Burrowing Owl. Take Grange Road (east) off of Highway 29. This turn is just to the north of mile marker 9.21. Continue on Grange Road till you see a paved road that goes south with two signs at the intersection ; one for Crazy Creek Glider and the other for the Hidden Valley Lake Water Reclamation Plant. Go about 3/10ths of a mile. The owl was standing right next to the road (on the west side) at the high point of a large bump beside what appeared to be a burrow. I did not get out to investigate as it would have disturbed the bird. I was able to stop using the car as a blind and watch the bird from about 12 feet. It was aware of the vehicle but it did not flush.

      I have only seen Burrowing Owl at three locations in the county and this is by far the most accessible and convenient. Hopefully the bird will stay (and not get run over). This was at about 12:55 PM. When I drove back by at 1:10 the bird was still there.
      There were also 2 Say's Phoebe's and a Northern Harrier along this road.

      Also today there was an immature Bald Eagle at Detert Reservoir . And further on towards highway 29 on Butts Canyon Rd. there were two Ferruginous Hawks.
      In Clearlake at Austin Park there were a Glaucous-winged, Thayer's, and an adult Western Gull along with the ever present Phainopepla.
      At Borax Lake the hybrid (Tufted type) duck continues. Jerry White

    • stevestump
      Message 160 of 160 , Nov 15, 2014

        11/15/14 0745

         Steve Stump