Ibis Update

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2001
      Thu, 17 May 2001 -- This evening Matthew Matthiessen came out to Potter
      Valley, and we drove around the valley looking for ibises. We found a group
      of ten in a pasture along Eel River Road about 1/2 mi north of Hopper's
      Corner. The pasture is on the west side of Eel River Road near the "English
      Lessons" sign (the house that the Steiners used to live in), and it is
      being flood-irrigated. Warning: there is no shoulder and no easy place to
      park. By the time that we had found a place to pull off, the birds took
      off, circled, and headed south, but this wet field may remain inviting to
      ibises for several days. This evening we hit the right two-minute interval.
      We checked Mid Mountain Road, Pine Avenue, East Road, West Road, and Burris
      Lane with no luck. -- George Chaniot