White/Albino Oystercatcher

  • mlgater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2004
      My husband & I were visiting your area from Half Moon Bay over New
      Year's and saw the white oystercatcher referred to in the 11/2
      posting from Ron. We saw it both on 12/30 and 12/31 during mid-
      morning walks on the headlands. Both times we were down by the
      monument. We are only semi-experienced birders but it was on rocks
      pretty close in on 12/31, so there was no mistake that it was an
      oystercatcher. There were two oystercatchers standing together that
      were identical, except for the body color. One was black and one
      was "white". The "albino" was off-white and the head was a bit
      darker - more of a buff color.