Mendocino Coast 1/3/04

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2004
      Sat, 03 Jan 2004 -- Chuck Vaughn and I birded the Mendocino coast Saturday
      hoping to ring in the Ought-Four birding year with some nice finds. We
      covered many stops from Arena Cove to Cleone. We found 102 species,
      highlights below:

      Red-necked Grebe 1 Ward Avenue
      Laysan Albatross 1 Flew into Arena Cove about 9:00
      Northern Fulmar hundreds Close to shore everywhere we scoped
      out to sea.
      This is quite the bird phenomenon of
      fall/winter season.
      Tundra Swans 139 Garcia River bottoms
      Greater White-fronted Goose 5 Garcia River bottoms
      Snow Goose 5 Garcia River bottoms
      Ross's Goose 1 Garcia River bottoms
      Aleutian Canada Goose 2 Garcia River bottoms
      Eurasian Wigeon 1 Garcia River bottoms
      Harlequin Duck 1 Glass Beach
      Black Scoter 2 Ward Avenue
      Ferruginous Hawk 3 N. & S. of Irish Beach
      Mountain Quail 3 groups Surprised along Mountain View Road
      in early morning
      Thayer's Gull 2 Laguna Point, 1st basic
      Glaucous Gull 1 Sitting on bluffs near Point Arena Lighthouse
      1 On rocks off Navarro Beach
      Black-legged Kittiwake 1 Sitting on rocks near Point Arena Lighthouse,
      probably more way off Laguna Point
      Pigeon Guillemot 1 off Point Arena, 1 off Laguna Point; unusual in
      winter, basic plumage
      Marbled Murrelet 1 Arena Cove
      Gray Jay 3 Van Damme SP Visitors' Center
      Varied Thrush 18 along Mountain View Road, compared to 49 on
      the same transect 1/5/2003
      River Otter 1 Stoneboro Road

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA