White-faced Ibises in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2001
      Thu, 17 May 2001 -- At about 10:30 I spotted a flock of 45 WHITE-FACED
      IBISES flying over Pine Avenue in Potter Valley. They circled up in a
      thermal, glided out to the north, and appeared to go down toward some
      vineyard ponds on private property. I checked every field and pond visable
      from East Road (and trespassed a little too), but I was unable to relocate
      them in the air or on the ground. They may be along the irrigation ditch or
      ponds east of East Road and between Pine Avenue and Mid Mountain Road.
      Is this the month for ibises, or what?! MEN#326, Bob.

      Earlier I had spent about two hours birding along the Eel River
      around the Pioneer Crossing Bridge and the first mile of the logging road.
      It was a very pleasant morning, and should be the same for the Peregrine
      Audubon Chapter field trip on Sunday morning. MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLERS were
      pretty easy to find - even for the high-frequency impaired. I must have
      seen six. Pileated Woodpeckers were rather noisy, but I never saw one but
      fleetingly. Purple Martins do not appear to be using the drain holes of the
      bridge this year as they have every year since the bridge was rebuilt in
      1992. I have received several reports of BALD EAGLES seen in the vicinity
      of the bridge in the last week, and on May 14 I saw an adult around my home
      in Potter Valley. Near the bridge was a singing Olive-sided Flycatcher, the
      first reported in interior Mendocino Co. this spring. With its arrival, all
      of the more-or-less-regular migrants which we track have been seen this
      year. Check the database at the Mendobirds homepage.

      Anyone coming to the field trip on Sunday should check the American
      Dipper nest beneath the old Potter Valley Road bridge enroute. With a five
      minute wait you can almost always see two adults, a fledgling from the
      first nesting (yellow bill), and the new nest on the south side of the
      middle pier. -- George Chaniot

      17 May 2001 Eel River at Pioneer Crossing Bridge and 1 mi upstream
      =========== ======================================================

      Green Heron
      Turkey Vulture
      Red-shouldered Hawk