Re: [Mendobirds] White-winged Dove in Fort Bragg

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2003
      Sat, 20 Dec 2003 -- Chuck Vaughn and I went to Fort Bragg this afternoon to
      look for the White-winged Dove reported yesterday. When we arrived at about
      1:30 we found a group of Mourning Doves sitting in a tree across the fence
      in the neighbors' yard to the south. About 2:15 the WHITE-WINGED DOVE flew
      in and landed among the Mourning Doves where it sat quietly until we left
      at about 2:40. It was also seen some time in the morning today. Evidently
      the bird was first seen in early November, was absent for several weeks,
      and now is coming regularly. It visits the platform feeder hanging in the
      apple tree which it approaches from the south - where we saw it sitting
      today. It is most often seen after 3:30.
      Call Henri Bensussen at 964-8844 to arrange a visit. There was an
      error in the directions posted yesterday, corrected below. From Hwy 1 in
      Fort Bragg turn east on Chestnut and drive for about 6 blocks. Turn LEFT on
      S. Harold (one-way). 475 S. Harold is the third house on the left. You
      cannot see the feeders or trees from the street, so call ahead.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
        Friday June 14, 2013--While biking to or from my bus stop behind Denny's when doing my SOS Survey at Virgin Creek, I always stop and check the birds feeding on the ground at Holmes Fred Lumber. They put out feed in the morning (don't know the time) and it attracts lot's of bird mostly pigeons and blackbirds. I knew I would find something good eventually. Today at around 2:00PM I found a WHITE-WINGED DOVE. I believe this is the first Summer Record and the first one Ebirded. I view the feeding area from behind a wire fence on Holmes Ln. The pigeon flock flushed while I was there along with the dove. When the pigeons returned the dove didn't.

        Richard Hubacek
        Little River