White-winged Dove in Fort Bragg

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2003
      Fri, 19 Dec 2003 -- After several misses, Dorothy Tobkin today confirmed a
      WHITE-WINGED DOVE which has been coming for several weeks to the feeder of
      Henri Bensussen at 475 S. Harold in Fort Bragg. The bird is travelling with
      Mourning Doves and may be visiting other feeders in the area. It has a
      tendency to arrive at about 3:45 or 4:00 in the afternoon. It may have an
      injury to its right foot or leg.
      Give a call to Kim or Henri at 964-8844. To reach the location from
      Hwy 1, turn east on Chestnut for about 5 blocks, turn right on Harold
      (one-way) and the house is several doors on the left.
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2003
        Sat, 20 Dec 2003 -- Chuck Vaughn and I went to Fort Bragg this afternoon to
        look for the White-winged Dove reported yesterday. When we arrived at about
        1:30 we found a group of Mourning Doves sitting in a tree across the fence
        in the neighbors' yard to the south. About 2:15 the WHITE-WINGED DOVE flew
        in and landed among the Mourning Doves where it sat quietly until we left
        at about 2:40. It was also seen some time in the morning today. Evidently
        the bird was first seen in early November, was absent for several weeks,
        and now is coming regularly. It visits the platform feeder hanging in the
        apple tree which it approaches from the south - where we saw it sitting
        today. It is most often seen after 3:30.
        Call Henri Bensussen at 964-8844 to arrange a visit. There was an
        error in the directions posted yesterday, corrected below. From Hwy 1 in
        Fort Bragg turn east on Chestnut and drive for about 6 blocks. Turn LEFT on
        S. Harold (one-way). 475 S. Harold is the third house on the left. You
        cannot see the feeders or trees from the street, so call ahead.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • richhubie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
          Friday June 14, 2013--While biking to or from my bus stop behind Denny's when doing my SOS Survey at Virgin Creek, I always stop and check the birds feeding on the ground at Holmes Fred Lumber. They put out feed in the morning (don't know the time) and it attracts lot's of bird mostly pigeons and blackbirds. I knew I would find something good eventually. Today at around 2:00PM I found a WHITE-WINGED DOVE. I believe this is the first Summer Record and the first one Ebirded. I view the feeding area from behind a wire fence on Holmes Ln. The pigeon flock flushed while I was there along with the dove. When the pigeons returned the dove didn't.

          Richard Hubacek
          Little River