Mendocino Coast 11/28

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2003
      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 -- Today Chuck Vaughn, Matt Brady, and I birded the
      Mendocino coast from Arena Cove to Cleone. We missed the Laysan Albatross
      at Arena Cove, but we did see the AMERICAN AVOCET at Hunters' Lagoon which
      Toby found on the 23rd. There were also 5 SNOW GEESE and 3 GREATER
      WHITE-FRONTED GEESE. We could also see four TUNDRA SWANS in the distance at
      Brush Creek. Along Hwy 1 north of Irish Beach there was a FERRUGINOUS HAWK
      sitting on the ground. At Van Damme State Park GRAY JAYS were easy to find
      at the campsites near the Visitors' Center. We did not find any longspurs
      today at the Mendocino headlands. At Ward Avenue in Cleone the waves were
      very light, and we had nice looks at a dozen BLACK SCOTERS, several
      RED-NECKED GREBES, and a pair of male HARLEQUIN DUCKS. Finally, at Laguna
      Point we found one ROCK SANDPIPER at high tide on the rocks to the north.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA