11/22 trip to Round Valley

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders: Eleven folks from Peregrine Audubon visited Round
      Valley on 11/22 and it was definitely a big day for raptors up there. We
      got to Dobie Lane, the N to S road running the length of the E side of the
      valley, a little after 9. We birded our way N along this road until noon,
      and were well rewarded. The best bird of the trip was a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
      which we spotted immediately we got out of the cars. We watched as it
      hunted, as it soared chasing a NORTHERN HARRIER, and as it sunned itself on
      the frosty morning. We also had a PRAIRIE FALCON perching and preening in
      a Valley Oak right in front of us. We watched it hunting and actually
      picking off some unknown small bird. The valley was full of WHITE-TAILED
      KITES, 7 in one tree! We had scope-filling views of FERRUGINOUS HAWK, and
      counted 3 of them just on the east side of Round Valley. By the time the
      morning was over, we had seen 11 raptors, also including COOPER'S HAWK,
      RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, RED-TAILED HAWK in a variety of color morphs, adult
      GOLDEN EAGLE, AMERICAN KESTREL, and a couple of MERLIN. We proceeded
      leisurely E to the Black Butte NFS camp ground for lunch. Here we watched
      a soaring adult BALD EAGLE for dessert. A 12-raptor day- that is about as
      good as it gets in Mendocino County!

      Chuck

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn