Chestnut-collared Longspur

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders,
      Yesterday (Sat 11/15) at 1330 I found an immature female
      CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR at the Mendocino Headlands. The bird was
      skulking along one of the paths about 100 ft east of the sister city
      monument. Also in the same area were two HORNED LARKS.

      Late yesterday afternoon I informed Toby of the CCLO and this morning I
      received a phone call from her indicating she was able to refind the
      bird today (Sun 11/16). She also found two LAPLAND LONGSPURS and one
      HORNED LARK nearby. Given the number of longspurs that have shown up
      here over the past four years it appears as though the sister city
      monument is THE spot in Mendo County for longspurs.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
        Fri, 05 Nov 2004 -- Today at about 10:00 Dorothy Tobkin found a
        CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR at the Mendocino Headlands near the Sister City
        monument. It was a very drab individual and hung around two HORNED LARKS.
        At Casper Pond there was an adult ROSS'S GOOSE, and at Van Damme SP
        she heard her first VARIED THRUSH of the fall and saw two PILEATED
        WOODPECKERS in the upper campground.
      • Janet Stein
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
          I observed the Chestnut-collared Longspur with 5 Horned Larks near the Sister Monument at the Mendocino Headlands yesterday (Nov. 9) around 8:30 a.m. As first reported by Toby, it is a rather drab individual but every so often the wind would ruffle the nape feathers and you could see the chestnut coloration.

          Janet Stein

        • richhubie
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
            Tue Nov 10, 2009--Karen Havlena and I found the CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR reported by Toby at approx. 3:45PM. It wasn't easy. We found it in the long grass field just south/east of the monument by walking thru it. It flew to about 50-60 feet south of the monument and we lost it when it jumped off the bluff into the grassy area just below the bluff. Got some pictures and if they're any good will post.

            Richard Hubacek
            Little River