Red-throated Loon at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2003
      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 -- Rather unusual for Lake Mendocino this afternoon was a
      single RED-THROATED LOON. It was hanging out just off the swimming area
      near the Pomo A parking area. It was fairly close to shore - at times
      inside the buoys. Then it dove and I never saw it come up again. How do
      loons do that?
      Among the several hundred scaup was a pair of drake CANVASBACKS,
      the first of the season.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
        Sun, 09 Dec 2007 -- About noon today Barbara Dolan and I found a
        RED-THROATED LOON at Lake Mendocino. It was about half-way between the dam
        and Perry Creek Cove. Probably it could be scoped from Coyote Dam. Hope it
        sticks around until Saturday. The flock of 26 CACKLING GEESE is still
        around. Today we saw them fly west over the dam and south towad Ukiah. A
        ROSS'S GOOSE is still present in the north end. It is hanging out with
        two domestic geese near the Oak Grove parking lot. There are also two
        adult BALD EAGLES which have been in the north end mornings and are
        eating dead striped bass on the mud flats. Yesterday there was a
        CANVASBACK at the delta of the Russian River - now migrated south of the
        Mesa.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA