Horned Larks

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2003
      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 -- Dorothy Tobkin went back to the Mendocino Headlands
      today and was unable to find the Lapland Longspur today. However, there
      were three HORNED LARKS in the grassy area near the sister city monument.
      At Caspar Pond there was a white goose that is possibly a SNOW/ROSS'S
      hybrid.
    • Janet Stein
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2003
        Thurs., 13 Nov 2003 --- The HORNED LARKS reported by Toby yesterday were still at the Mendocino Headlands this morning. I saw a flock of at least eight near the sister monument this morning at around 8:30 a.m.

        Janet Stein

      • Matthew Matthiessen
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
          Sun, Nov 7, 2004 - Yesterday at the Mendocino Headlands the two HORNED
          LARKS reported by Toby last week had been joined by a third individual.
          The birds seemed to prefer the area around the sister city monument
          itself. I could not locate the longspur reported by Toby.

          The ROSS'S GOOSE continued at Caspar Pond. It appears to have an
          injured wing so it may stay around for a while. At Lake Cleone there
          was one REDHEAD, one SNOW GOOSE, and two CACKLING GEESE. From Laguna
          Point the birds of note I scoped were one WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, one
          BONAPARTE'S GULL, and three ANCIENT MURRELETS.

          Good Birding
          Matthew Matthiessen
          Ukiah, MEN, CA
        • Jessica Morton
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
            Four vivid Horned Larks were feeding slightly to the north of the
            Miasa monument at Mendocino Headlands on Monday about 12:45 p.m. and
            offered great views of beautiful markings and tufts.
          • richhubie
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 17, 2008
              Mon. 17 Nov. 2008. I found 2 Horned Larks today, walking the bluffs
              just north of the Point Cabrillo Lighthouse at 3:17PM.

              Richard Hubacek