Lapland Longspur at Mendocino Headlands

  • Charlene McAllister
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2003
      Dorothy "Toby" Tobkin reported seeing a LAPLAND LONGSPUR this morning
      near the monument at Mendocino Headlands.
      She noted that it was in with a small flock of PIPITS.

      Charlene McAllister
      P.O. Box 332
      Little River, CA 95456
      707-937-4463
      email: charmac@...

    • Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2010
        Greetings Mendobirders- Jerry White just phoned to report a single
        LAPLAND LONGSPUR at the Mendocino Headlands shortly after noon. Jerry
        said it was raining and cold, and he did not know if the bird would stay
        or not.

        Jerry White (Chuck Vaughn)

        --
        Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
        Ukiah, CA
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2013
          Wed Oct 2, 2013--This evening I had a late drive into Mendocino with a hour of wait time. I decided to head out to the Headlands. With the winds blowing 20 plus mph I was trying to figure out if it was worth the effort to get out of the car. I saw a bird flying over battling the winds and as it went past I heard a dry rattle flight call. I knew It was a Longspur. Found the LAPLAND LONGSPUR on the trail nearest the bluff just south of the monument. A hiker moved it downslope.

          This is the earliest this bird has been ebirded. Don't know about other records. Normally I start looking for them during the middle of October.

          Richard Hubacek
          Little River