Lake Co. 10/2

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi all,
      Went up to Lake Co. today since I am still well on the wrong side of 200 for
      the county. I also saw the Brown Pelican today at the small vacant lot near
      the west end of Lakeshore Blvd in Nice. It is tough to follow Lakeshore Blvd but
      look for the small lot with a tiny little building and a dilapidated old
      pier. At 11/27 the Brown Pelican was suddenly present very close to shore and
      eventually swam under the pier. I don't know if it was hiding to close to see or
      if it flew in. A Glaucous-winged Gull fly-by was also a county tick.
      At mile 22.30 on Hwy 20 there was a single male Tricolored Blackbird (not a
      tick) and a cowbird (tick), amongst Brewers and Red-wings.
      On the way back south I decided to check Detert Res. east of Middletown. Lots
      of birds, nothing rare, but an Osprey, 15 Hooded Mergansers in the shallow
      end, 750 Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwall, N. Pintail and Green-winged Teal.
      A nice Ferruginous Hawk was a nice tick on Butts Canyon Rd. just east of Hwy
      29.
      Good birding,
      Steve Glover
      Dublin